11. What is an EHCP and who can request one for my child?
- EHCP stands for Education and Health Care Plan.
- The purpose of an EHCP is to make special educational provision to meet the needs of a child or young person, to secure improved outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care.
- An ECHP will contain
- the views and aspirations of you and your child
- a full description of his/her special educational needs and any health and social care needs
- established outcomes for your child's progress
- the provision required and how education, health and social care will work together to meet your child's need and support the achievement of the agreed outcomes.
- You, your child and/or the school can request that the local authority conduct an assessment of your child's needs. This may lead to another EHCP.